The rules for this competition are pretty simple really..
Vote for who you believe to be ‘Ballarat’s Top Female Spots Identity’
And.. just for voting, you will go in the draw to win a $100 food and beverage voucher for The Western Hotel!
The winner, as voted by you.. will win a $500 function voucher for their sporting club in addition to all the bragging rights, sporting club and personal exposure on our website and socials!
Wendouree Athletic Club is nominating Claire Mahony. Claire is a very talented and determined all-round sportsgirl. Although good at many sports, the grade 6 student has excelled in Netball, Tennis, Football and more recently distance running. Mahony has represented the Ballarat Netball Association at the state level, represented Central Highlands at both the Frank Sedgman and Alicia Molik Cup in tennis, played U15s final football (as an eleven year old) with and against the boys and recently represented Victoria in Cross Country. The star athlete will also represent Victoria in Track & Field at the Australian Championships.
CROSS COUNTRY (Note: Started training in mid April 2018)
- 1stBallarat District
- 1stBallarat Division
- 2ndGrampians Region
- 4thSchool Sport Victoria (SSV) State Champs. Top 6 qualify to represent TeamVic at the Australian Cross Country Championships.
- 11thAustralian Championships. 2nd Victorian. Bronze in team’s event.
- Silver Australian XC Relay (1500m each).
- Ballarat District and Division
1st 800m, 1st 1500m, 1st Relay
- Grampians Region
2nd 800m, 2nd 1500m, 2nd Relay
- School Sport Victoria (SSV) State Championships
4th 1500m, 7th 800m
- Will represent TeamVic (10 – 12 years) @ National Championships.
- Victorian All-Schools Championships
- Finalist 1500m (competing up an age in U14 competition). PB 5 mins 09 sec.
Ballarat Basket Ball is nominating 17-year-old Georgia Amoore. Georgia is a high achieving basketball player with local club Exies Acmy who has moved her way through the Basketball Ballarat Junior Elite Teams pathway into Country Victorian and Australian representative teams.
Georgia is a hard worker at school and in Basketball and in 2018 represent Ballarat in the Thrifty u/18 Rush, McDonalds Ballarat Youth League Rush and Skoda Ballarat Rush teams. While also continuing with the Country Victoria and Australian representative teams all while completing her schooling.
Georgia recently signed as a development player with the Dandenong Rangers in the Women’s National Basketball League.
- Gold medalists 2017 U16 Asia Cup
- Bronze medalist 2018 u/17 World Championships
- U17 Sapphires (Women’s Australian Team)
- Australian Development Camp (AIS)
- National Performance Program scholarship (future Opals program) 3 years
- 2017 U18 Country Victoria Women’s team (Gold medalists U18 Australian Junior Championships)
- 2017 U18 Country Victoria Women’s team (Captain and Bronze medalist U18 Australian Junior Championships
- 2017 and 2018 ACJBC U18 Team selection
- Member of the Ballarat Skoda Rush (South East Australian Basketball League – Open Age)
- Member of the McDonalds Ballarat Youth League Rush (Under 23 State Championship Competition)
- Member of Thrifty Ballarat u/18 Rush (U/18 State Competition)
- Exies Acmy A grade Women
- Exies Acmy U/18
The Buninyong Golf Club is nominating Helen Pascoe. She is a retired secondary school teacher who still has involvement running sport in schools around Ballarat. Her life is mostly taken up with playing golf Australia wide and her family. As a result of Helen’s participation in several sports, and also her coaching roles she was awarded the Australian Sports Medal in the year 2000.
Just a few of Helen Pascoe’s sporting achievements –
- Buninyong Golf Club Captain – 4 years 2002-2006
- Buninyong Golf Club Women’s Champion – 15 times
- Ballarat District Women’s Champion – 13 times.
- Ballarat District Sandgreen Champion 2013, 2015 & 2017
- Victorian Women’s Sandgreen Champion 2013 and 2015
- Victorian Senior Women’s Champion 2014 & 2017
- Ballarat Sportswomen’s “Spirit of Sport” Award 2016
- Semi finalist Australian Senior Women’s Amateur Championship in Perth 2015
- Quarter finalist Australian Senior Women’s Amateur Championships in Gawler S.A. 2018
- Runner Up Australian Senior Women’s Order of Merit 2018
- Represented Australia in Trans Tasman Senior Women’s Event 2018
- Winner of Victorian Women’s Autumn & Spring Tournaments 2018
- Captain Ballarat Team in Golf Victoria’s Women’s Country Teams
- Current President of Ballarat District Golf Incorporated
- 2018 Winner Ballarat District 54 hole event for the 12th time
Ballarat Sebastopol Cycling Club is nominating Shannon Malseed. She began cycling in 2013 after growing up swimming and competing in triathlons when she was 16 -17 years old. The transition into cycling kind of landed in her lap when she was picked up by the Holden Women’s Cycling team. Shannon raced with Holden (now Holden Team Gusto) for 5 years. During those years she also raced overseas for the Australian National Team in 2015-16-17.
This year (2018) was Shannon’s first season as a professional road cyclist! She raced for Team TIBCO – Silicon Valley Bank, a professional UCI/ women’s world tour team based out of San Francisco.
- 2015 – U23 National Criterium Champion; and U23 National Road Champion
- 2016 – Oceania Road Champion 3rd U23 National Criterium Championship
- 2017 – National Road Series winner
– 4th Australian Road National Championship
– 3rd Australian Criterium National Championship
- 2018 – Australian National Road Champion (current)
– 2nd on overall General Classification at the WWT Tour of Chongming Island
– Commonwealth Games Australian Team member – where we rode Chloe to victory!
Photo credit Kirsty Baxter
The City Oval Bowling Club is nominating Sophie Kurzman for her contribution in highlighting lawn bowls as a sport for people of all ages and in being a role model for other players in her age group.
Sophie started playing lawn bowls with City Oval Bowling Club as a 9-year-old. She went on to play for the U18 Gold Squad as an 11 year old. She was the youngest person selected in this squad. She attended all the training days and selection trials and was chosen to play in her first Test series against Tasmania in July 2017. From here she was then selected to play at the Australian National Championships in New South Wales in September 2017 and then selected again to play a Test series against South Australia in January 2018. After attending further trials and selection days, she was picked to play in the Tasmania test series in July 2018 in Tasmania. Her most recent state selection was for the 2018 National Championships which were in Queensland in October 2018.
- In October this year she was a member of the U18 Victorian side, who travelled to Queensland to play in the National Championships.
- On 21st November she received a plaque from the SAA – Ballarat Branch at the Junior Encouragement Awards Dinner for her achievements in sport.
- On 22nd November she received a Scholarship from the Ballarat Sports Foundation.
She continues to train and play Division 1 throughout the current 2018/19 BDBD season.
Sophie’s passion for the game has seen her attend numerous training and trial days in Ballarat and in Melbourne even over the winter months.
All this whilst she juggles her schooling as a Year 10 student at Ballarat High, she is only 15. And in what spare time she has, she likes to catch up with friends and enjoy the company of her family and peers.
Brown Hill Netball Club is nominating Stacey McCartin.
Stacey began playing netball when she was about 6 years old, playing for her local primary school St Aloysius. From there her love of netball grew. She played throughout her junior years with Brown Hill Netball Club and represented Ballarat from under 11’s through to under 17’s playing with the Ballarat squad. She was invited to attend a Victorian Netball Camp for Grade 6 students, which was a big achievement at the time. At 16 years of age she began playing with Ballarat Pride in the State Netball League competition, which was played at the State Netball Hockey Centre. Stacey then joined the Ballarat Football league when she was 17 years of age and continues to play in the league today with the North City Football Netball Club.
Stacey also continues to play for Brown Hill Netball Club, playing in senior competitions on a Tuesday and Wednesday night. She feels very fortunate to be coached by her Mum Annie and play alongside her two sisters Louise and Gina. Stacey also plays with her Mum on a Wednesday night, which she absolutely loves. This year has been the best yet for Stacey, winning the Ballarat Football League A Grand Final with North City, the Athletes Foot Grand Final for Brown Hill, the A Grade Best and Fairest with North City and the BFNL League A Grade Best and Fairest. For her the most important thing is to enjoy sport and playing netball with my family and friends is the best I could ask for!